Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Wedding of the Year

Evenin' all. Despite the acres of coverage of the wedding of HRH Prince Charles to Camilla, I cannot see a) what interest it has for the general public, and b) what relevance it has to modern Britain. On the basis that EVERY UK paper is providing some information about it (I particularly like the picture of the Queen on the front page of today's Times), I must be missing something. I am not anti-monarchy, I am not even a republican (despite parental pressure to become so many moons ago), I just don't view the monarchy as something to occupy my time, except insofar as it seems to be to some a source of a number of jokes, good and bad. Let the poor sods get on with their lives, I am not interested.

One thing though, it does raise the old saw that when you've got something to hide, put the Royals on the front page, or start a war. Question is, what is there to hide? There is always something, but there doesn't seem to be anything at the moment, unless there is a conspiracy among all political parties to keep the impending general election from the great British Public...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home